Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

27 Ways To Make Your Macaroni Cheese Cooler | Top Tips


I love Macaroni Cheese. It is by far my favourite meal, and one of the few things I never tire of eating! At uni, it is a staple for my friends and I because it is so cheap to make, amazingly tasty as well as super filling. Because we ate it so much, we started to vary what we put in it to make it slightly healthier and more interesting. Here is a combination of our ideas, and some of my own to give the classic Macaroni Cheese a little something extra!

When you’re making the cheese sauce:

Get Cheesy - swap the classic Cheddar for...

1. Blue Cheese
2. Red Leicester - this will give the sauce a deeper yellow colour, which I loved as a child!
3. Stilton
4. Mozzarella - this will give a very mild taste, so I would suggest mixing it with a stronger cheese, or adding it on top if you bake the macaroni in the oven

Once you’ve created the cheese sauce:

Keep It Simple - add these easy ingredients

Pesto Genovese Macaroni Cheese
5. ½ teaspoon of Marmite (it really enhances the flavour of the cheese, and as long as you don't go majorly overboard, doesn't taste at all like Marmite - take it from a Marmite hater!)
6. Black pepper
7. Crushed garlic
8. Top it with breadcrumbs and bake it ‘till you make it (or until it’s golden brown)
9. Basil - fresh is probably better
10. Pesto - my favourites are Pesto Genovese and Sun-Dried Tomato
11. Worcestershire Sauce - for a kick!

After you’ve combined the pasta and sauce:

Have A Health Kick


Pea and Chicken Macaroni Cheese
12. Leeks - fry/caramelise them first and then stir them in well so they’re evenly distributed
13. Mushrooms
14. Caramelised Red Onions
15. Spinach - add with a couple of minutes to go on a very low heat or after you’ve taken the macaroni off the heat to prevent wilting
Broccoli Macaroni Cheese
16. Broccoli
17. Peas
18. Tomatoes - sundried or fresh, either stirred through the pasta or used on top if you’re baking it

Red Pepper Macaroni Cheese
19. Peppers
20. Sweetcorn
21. Spring Onions

And/Or Make It Meatilicious/Fishy


Bacon and Pea Macaroni Cheese
22. Chicken
23. Bacon
24. Tuna
25. Ham
26. Salami
27. Pepperoni

Now get cooking! You can thank me later.

P.S. I love to make all the recipes that I post about, however we are currently getting our kitchen redone so I am without cooker (and have been for over two months now!). I was way too excited about this post to wait for it to be finished, but rest assured I will be posting pictures of all the macaroni I eat when that happy day arrives on Twitter and Instagram! All these pictures are from this Pinterest search.

No comments:

Post a Comment